Peoplesoft does live data integration by using Integration Broker
PeopleSoft Integration Broker is a middleware technology that:
- Performs asynchronous and synchronous messaging between internal systems and third-party systems.
- Exposes PeopleSoft business logic as web services to PeopleSoft and third-party systems.
- Consumes and invokes web services from third-party and PeopleSoft systems.
PeopleSoft Integration Broker enables you to perform these integrations among internal systems and third-party integration partners, while managing data structure, data format and transport disparities. Because of its modular design, you can reuse many elements that you develop for integrations.
PeopleSoft Integration Broker consists of two subsystems: the integration gateway and the integration engine. The integration gateway resides on a PeopleSoft web server, and the integration engine is installed on an application server as part of the PeopleSoft application.
The integration gateway is a platform that manages the receipt and delivery of messages passed among systems through PeopleSoft Integration Broker. It supports the leading TCP/IP application protocols used in the marketplace today and provides extensible interfaces to develop new connectors for communication with legacy, enterprise resource planning, and internet-based systems.
The integration engine runs on the PeopleSoft application server. Rather than communicating directly with other applications, the integration engine sends and receives messages through one or more separately installed integration gateways.
The integration engine:
- Uses a modular architecture, so it can treat gateways as black boxes and communicate with them using standard connectors.
- Adapts elements of an existing integration to produce a new integration with only minor adjustments.
- Handles messages containing data in a variety of formats. Formats include the PeopleSoft rowset-based message format, and nonrowset-based message structures, including, XML document object model messages, Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) messages, and non-XML files.
- Sends and receives messages asynchronously (like email) or synchronously (suspending activity to wait for a response).
- Applies to message transmission type and routing based on the specifications that you define in a PeopleSoft Pure Internet Architecture component.
- By developing and applying application engine transform programs, the application engine can transform the message structure and translate data content according to the specifications that you define in PeopleSoft Pure Internet Architecture components.
You develop, transform application engine programs in PeopleCode or Extensible Stylesheet Language Transformation (XSLT) code.
These specifications can be reused for other integrations.
- Handle security features such as authentication, nonrepudiation, and cookies.